Narcissist or recluse, if you don’t have photographic evidence, did your ride ever happen? So how do you take the perfect cycling selfie? We asked some of the best (and vainest!) in the business, for their tips to ensure you look your best for that Instagram pose.
1) Stay safe! It can be tempting to do the whole ‘hands off the bars’ thing, but rest assured, your selfie will look a whole lot worse with a black eye from having fallen off. There are no hard and fast rules with selfies, so pull over and compose your shot properly. Having your attention elsewhere can be a real danger, as this video shows.
2) Get the right filter. We’re spoiled for choice now, so even the most basic shots can be made to look pro. Whether it’s Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, they all offer basic photo-editing functions, which can transform the drab to the fab.
3) Location, location, location. Wherever you ride, on the trails, in the city, rural lanes or in the mountains, make sure you chose your sport carefully. Bright colours, extreme landscapes or vibrant textures can all make that shot stand out.
4) Show off the machine. Purists will tell you there’s a certain way a bike should be snapped: chain facing the camera; crank facing down; and bike dropped into the lowest gear, will all keep you on the favourable side of the style police.
5) Show off your kit. You spent your hard earned dollars on it, so make the biggest bang for your buck, and show off your best-looking cycling pose. Don’t forget to tag-away, whilst you’re at it, and get the right hashtags to share your post far and wide.